A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Wednesday, January 24, 2007
You mean that little bit of snow?

Well, although on the weekend the fates were not exactly in my favour, it looks like they've swung back my way. I woke up to this view out my front door this morning (but a bit darker) and didn't really think much of it. Getting this much snow at once does not happen often here in southern Germany, but having grown up in Canada, it never occurs to me that it's anything but normal. The bus I take to the train station was a little late, but I thought that was to be expected, since it looked like the process of clearing the streets was still underway. Also, people around here tend to get a little paranoid about driving in weather like this, which doesn't exactly help traffic. Matthias does an impression of German drivers in snowy weather which consists of him running around with his hands over his head yelling 'Schneeflocken! Die Schneeflocken werden mich fressen!' ('Snowflakes! The snowflakes are going to eat me!') LOL. Anyway, to make a long story short, the train station was utter chaos, no trains were running, and I just made my sweet way back home. Yay! Since I rather grudgingly dragged my sorry butt to work the last couple days, I am more than happy to stay home. Thankfully, things are really slow at work right now, so no one will mind me just working from home today.

Thank you all so much for your well wishes for me to get better, you are all such sweethearts! Cinderella, I wasn't brave enough to try Moby's cold remedy, although I'm sure it must be pretty effective, since I know at least that garlic and cayenne are great for fighting colds, and ginger is good for all sorts of things. For example, if any of you have never tried ginger tea (just let some ginger steep for a bit, then drink the water), it's great for upset stomachs. As Vanessa pointed out, the ginger tastes quite nice, especially with honey, at least if you like ginger. Unfortunately it has always been one of the things I have to choke down. Luckily though, it's only if the flavour is really strong, so I can still use hints of ginger in my cooking when it's mixed with other spices, like in Indian or Thai cooking, where it usually doesn't bother me. Nevertheless, even though I am a big fat yellow-belly who did not make Moby tea, I am feeling better, if a little run down. But as I said, things at work are slow right now, which means boring and I am just one of those people who doesn't get nearly as tired from being busy as I do from having not enough to do.

So, in the spirit of keeping myself busy, I am well underway with my lovely alpaca sweater! I must say, the Andean Treasure from Knitpicks is so snuggly soft and I really love knitting with it. I only started working on this last week and I'm already done a good part of the body. I am knitting it in the round, just plain stockinette for now, but when I get to the yoke I will use the feather pattern (or is it fan? Who knows, here in Germany we call it peacock!) that I used on the sleeve. I was inspired in part by the Equinox Yoke Pullover, which has a fair isle design all the way up to the elbow, and also the Enid sweater, which I think has a very nice shape. At first, I considered doing some sort of simple fair isle, but when I knit a swatch of the two yarns it didn't look so hot, because of the difference in weight of the two yarns and all the colours in the Araucania. Since I really wanted to make use of just these, though I decided to try something else. I really like how the sleeve is turning out, and am looking forward to knitting the yoke. I think this will be a sweater that I will wear a lot. That's really saying something, since I started designing things on my own almost as soon as I learned to knit, and I've made a lot of duds ;D

Labels: ,

posted by tatjana @ 11:16 a.m.  
7 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland