A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Monday, November 13, 2006
Old stereotypes die hard huh?
Grrr. Just a quick post to vent, this time in defense of Germany. I was more than a little surprised and rather dismayed to see that while answering a comment containing the word 'Germany' the ads that popped up on my Google sidebar were for Nazi films! Nazi propaganda! (who I wonder, will google me now??) I find that really sad. I may have my issues with living here sometimes, but one of the things that bothers me is a complete lack of pride that has developed here among the young people in their own country. Can you imagine they more or less learn to be ashamed of it in school? In spite of fairly little interest in football (you know, soccer lol) I was so happy to see thousands of young Germans going out and celebrating in the name of their team and country. It's almost as though the footbal arena is the only place they can justify displaying a sense of pride.
There is so much more to German history and culture than the second World War. And as the daughter of a German, I have always been proud of my background for a variety of reasons too complex to list right now. I just think it unfair that such casual associations between Germany and the Nazi movement should be something that will even now still be thrown in the face of impressionable young people who have already more or less been taught their country is the root of all evil. I mean, it's bad enough that muslims are discriminated against now because of current terrorism, does that mean they will still be thought to be terrorists in 60 years? I really hope not.

Sorry for the ranting! I swear, happy crafting coming soon :)

craftily yours,

Tatjana

Labels:

posted by tatjana @ 8:30 p.m.  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland