A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Sunday, January 21, 2007
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...
lindy_frog
Don't you just hate it when you're really looking forward to something and then for whatever reason you just can't do whatever that was? I woke up feeling all awful and flu-y yesterday - after only managing to stay semi-healthy for only a month! I was really hoping it would maybe get better over the course of the day, that it was only a weak, fleeting little thing, and that I would still be able to go swing dancing like a planned, but no dice. Since it happened over my little hiatus, I don't think I mentioned before that since our plans to visit a friend of mine in Vienna for New Year's Eve fell through, so instead I dragged Mr. Keep-me-at-leat-100m-from-the-dancefloor to a dance party which was split into two rooms: one Tango and one Swing. It was so awesome! I actually did manage to get the boy on the dance floor for a couple songs (during one of which I think I almost dislocated his shoulder) and also got a couple of the swing dudes to dance with me. I learned to swing dance a bit when there was a big craze in Toronto while I was in high school, but haven't really found anywhere along my travels where I could swing since. I would really like to start again. So I was planning on going to a swing night that was planned for last night, and included an intro class beforehand. Alas, it was not meant to be. But I'm not giving up! The same group that organizes the swing nights also does classes, with another round starting in February. Woohoo! I hope I don't make too much of a jackass of myself, since I haven't really done any swing dancing, apart from my drunken, New Year's fiasco, in almost 10 years (Sweet Jeebus!). If I'm lucky, I may be able to convince a friend of mine to come with me, as she used to take ballroom and jazz and was saying how much she missed dancing. After all, why embarass only myself in front of complete strangers when I can have people I know there too ;)

Oh! and before I forget, I got tagged by the lovely Tricia. I have to list five things about me, not mentioned on this blog, and using the same two words to start each one as Tricia did on her blog. So here goes :)

1. I enjoy movies. All kinds of movies. I find something magical about sitting in the dark with the outside world a million miles away, while you empathise with the broken hearted girl, the suave southern gentleman, or the man in black :)

2. I like to make odd noises when I'm excited. Not that kind of excited, pervert! When I'm really happy about something I tend to squeal or chirp, and I'm always talking to the cats, in cat. I guess I just find normal speech a too limiting to express certain kinds of joy properly lol.

3. I love horses. I only ever got to ride one on a couple pony rides as a child, but I dream that when we someday have our house somewhere in rural Canada, we'll have a barn and at least one horse. I think growing up with an animal that beautiful is one of the greatest gifts you can give a child.

4. I have a tendency to get easily distracted. It's a miracle if I can keep my mind on a single idea for 2 minutes at a time. I keep meaning to write more things down, because it always feels like there's so little of me and my ideas that ever come to fruition. I keep a Moleskine in my bag, but it's still an uphill battle.

5. I had a hamster when I was seven. It was the only pet I was allowed because I didn't want fish, my mother thinks birds smell bad, and everything else was too big, because we lived in an apartment at the time. His name was Fluffy, and Fluffy liked to run off and crawl into the walls through the heating ducts. I was always able to lure him back with pieces of apple though. I was kinda proud of him for being so adventurous.

And for those of you who don't know why swing dancing is just the cat's pajamas, take a look at this couple here:


Labels: ,

posted by tatjana @ 6:07 p.m.  
8 Comments:
  • At Monday, January 22, 2007 11:22:00 a.m., Blogger Carrie said…

    I LOVED that video! What fun! That must take an incredible amount of time to choreograph. It reminds me a lot of couples figure skating. So much energy! Sorry about your flu, though. Doesn't that happen at the most inappropriate times??

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, January 22, 2007 1:44:00 p.m., Blogger lobstah said…

    How fun! I love dancing and I'm really lucky that my bf is into it too! Our problem is that we live too far out in the sticks and no one teaches here :( Hopefully we will move somewhere a bit more happening!

    It's funny, I was totally lurking on MySpace a while back and found the page for a guy I was friends with when I was 13/14 yrs old. We were total metalhead punks back then, but it turns out he's a internationally known Lindy Hopper! That blew my mind!

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, January 22, 2007 2:59:00 p.m., Blogger AR said…

    Feel better!!

    I would love to take swing dancing lessons. It looks like so much fun!

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, January 22, 2007 4:48:00 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Tatjana, I had 9 hamsters(short-lived) as a child and I can relate on the distraction.
    Also, can you believe I have never seen Amelie yet?!!
    (It was nice to learn some new things about you!)
    Feel better SOON!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, January 22, 2007 5:13:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope you feel better soon! I have a recipe from Moby's cookbook ( yes Moby the DJ/singer) he has a tea house in NYC and made a cook book with all his tea and food recipes. OK, it's called Cure for the Common Cold: 1 thumb sized piece of ginger chopped into little bits; 2 cloves of garlic, minced; 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder; Take all the ingredients and put them in the bottom of a mug. Pour boiling water over the ingredients. Let steep 8 to 10 minutes, strain the liquid into a separate mug and drink it. It tastes absolutely revolting, but it helps boost the immune system. I hope you get to go swing dancing soon!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:09:00 a.m., Blogger Anastasia said…

    Hope you are feeling better!! I love swing dancing too - the clothes, the movements looks joyous!!
    I love going to the movies too - its perfect way to escape into someone else's world for 2hrs!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:37:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Swing Dancing!! Those two people look like little gliding characters!! How wonderful!! Okay, The tea to make for the cold which tastes very nice even though it seems not, is Garlic and ginger boiled together...Then drink like a tea with lots of honey. Moby's sounds really good too. Garlic is a natural antibiotic.. it might help???

      Edit Comment
  • At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:58:00 a.m., Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said…

    Oh my, I think that swing dancing just sounds like a little too much fun. Is that legal?

    PS I love your chirping when excited. so sweet.

      Edit Comment
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland