A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Thursday, March 08, 2007
Everybody now - 'I feel pretty....Oh so pretty...."
We all know that women are known for certain weaknesses....shoes, chocolate, designer handbags...I'm sure many a husband or boyfriend could adds scores to such a list. I, of course, am just a girl like any other - I too often get my thrills from a shoe or clothing rack. And as I mentioned in my post about Ireland, I am not above shopping my blues away ;) It must be said, however, that since I've been living in Germany this tendency of mine has nowhere near reached the heights it did while I was in Canada. This is mostly due to me still being aghast at many of the prices here (it takes me micro-seconds to figure out what each price would be in "my money" ie Canadian dollars) and that this does not happen to be a region that caters to the vintage or retro shopper. That said, I am ashamed to admit that my manner of dress has gone appallingly downhill over the last year or two. I have slowly gone from being a dresses-and-skirts-with-funky-bags sort of girl to a rarely bland mix of jeans with t-shirts and usually not so exciting cardigans. It's amazing how something like this can sneak up on you! I think my younger self would have been horrified to know that I would become a regular wearer of dull outfits like these...

Don't let the romantic German background fool you! I am clearly a woman in need of help. Now, you can't tell in the first picture, but I'm almost positive I was wearing running shoes. Not that there's anything wrong with running shoes - they're very comfortable, practical and have their time and place - but they'd never be called glamorous, or even stylish. Besides, we're aiming for girlie, sexy even. I mean, let's be perfectly honest here, I have no problem with getting older, my mother is pushing 65 and still by far the most beautiful woman I know - but it's a fact of life that the effects of gravity on my girliest of parts is becoming more palpable by the year and frankly, I think I need to show off what I've got while I still got it ;) If I am lucky enough to live that long and still have my wits about me, I still plan to be the most colourful of fashionistas when I'm 80, but I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it in a short skirt. So, in the spirit of looking like a girlier girl, I could not resist this hot little number I found today at H&M. I tried to take as good a picture as I could, but I sadly had little success in capturing the cuteness of this dress. It's cotton jersey in teal (*so* comfy! and still girly!) with 3/4 length sleeves and cuffs with 3 little buttons. I'm a sucker for cuffs. There's some gathering at the yoke and at the tops of the sleeves, as well as the cutest little keyhole in the back! (oops! forgot to get a pic of that too)

As can often happen with a solid-coloured dress though, it needs some kind of waist definition, hence the pink sash around the waist. I'm going to look through my fabric stash for something I can make a belt out of, which I also need for another tunic-y type dress I have. I've been wanting to make a couple fabric belts ever since I fell in love with those used over dresses by Noa Noa, a Danish designer who makes the lovelist fairy princess type things. I have already collected a few of said things, but they have such a light, airy quality to them, they seem out of place in any weather other than balmy sunshine, so it looks like I will have to wait a bit before pulling them out of the closet :( But I'm hoping this new purchase will be a good transition outfit, until I can start wearing my summer things (which are not quite so hopeless) and most importantly, get me to wear my pom-pom shoes more often!

I really love these. They're just so ridiculous, and they match the dress perfectly! I found them on sale for 10 Euro in the middle of fall, which was very grey and rainy - not good for suede flats. So these have been living in the closet since then. Do you think the pink fishnets are too much? I couldn't help it, I've been starving for colour. Now I've got to go rummage around in my collection of trinkets and try and get in the habit of wearing jewellery again. Enough of lonely, neglected earrings! No more spinster necklaces! Mama's not only got a new (sorta) pair of shoes, she's got a new dress to match - and she's gonna show it off ;D

Labels: ,

posted by tatjana @ 7:52 p.m.  
12 Comments:
  • At Friday, March 09, 2007 4:48:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love the pompoms and the pink fishnets. they may be a bit much for everyday wear, but perfect for a party or a birthday...i think that dress might also look cute ovr jeans...maybe you can create a combo of old you and new you. :)

      Edit Comment
  • At Friday, March 09, 2007 9:03:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, may I just say! HURRAY! I love reclaiming my inner lioness and I am sooo glad you are too!!!! How wonderful! You even inspired me to get my hair done today, as my hairdresser offered and I declined. I am calling her up now!!!!!!!! YAY!!!Youa re a doll by the way!!!! Germany is not for you.. get your lovely self to the states!!!! Mexico even... You have a spicy flair peeking out!!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:30:00 a.m., Blogger jungle dream pagoda said…

    You are so GORGEOUS !!! ...and I love that you say the most beautiful woman you know is your mommy ,I hope my babys will feel atleast similar feelings about their mommy!
    Its so hard sometimes to dress all spruced up,I am so busy and soo tired all the time,but obviously the effort is worth it!!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:56:00 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    i know how easy it can be to just throw on a tee and jeans with the cardigan, seems to be my wardrobe of the moment...but looking forward to changing 'my look' too!
    I love you in teal, sweetie! and the belt and tights are a lovely pink, nice touch!

      Edit Comment
  • At Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:40:00 a.m., Blogger Bobbypin Bandit said…

    I love those little blue shoes!!! They are super duper lovely. If I saw them in a store, I would buy them, too!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, March 12, 2007 1:37:00 p.m., Blogger Carrie said…

    Cute cute CUTE. You're totally motivating me to tend to my wardrobe. I've recently lost some weight, and I should dress better. No reason to dress frumpy!

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, March 12, 2007 7:38:00 p.m., Blogger .x.Helen.x. said…

    When I read your post, it made me think of an old poem we studied at school. When I found it and re-read it, I realised it wasnt so much about an 80 year old fashionista as a woman who decided to stop caring what other people thought. And it made me smile alot.
    You can read it here: http://www.aztriad.com/pathmark/purple_poem.html

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, March 12, 2007 8:28:00 p.m., Blogger Veronica TM said…

    tatjana, you look so cute! even in jeans and t-shirt.
    i am so happy that you are craving colour, since that may mean that you are optimistic about things, even in the middle of a difficult transition.
    i am sending you good energy and thoughts.
    i love your new dress and the pom pom shoes, so cute!

      Edit Comment
  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:31:00 a.m., Blogger Anastasia said…

    you are too cute!!! Love those shoes! my mum is one of my style icons too...
    I have the opposite problem I dont know how to do low key looks - I never ever wear sports gear and rarely wear sport shoes...its just not me at all!
    I think it takes time to find 'your' look and style...and we all know money cant buy style (can you hear that Paris Hilton??)in the meantime we should just have fun and not take it all too seriously!!!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:32:00 a.m., Blogger Anastasia said…

    oh forgot to add - would love love that mushroom quiche recipe!
    here is my email
    aa.christou@optusnet.com.au

    ciao!!!

      Edit Comment
  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:39:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think Spring is the time for re-vamping the look and buying new items. My need for a re-vamp goes even deeper, as chronicled here in a recent blog post:

    http://zazazu.wordpress.com/2007/03/11/maintenance-day/

    It is good though to pay attention to our looks and to how we feel about ourselves.

    Cute shoes! ;)

      Edit Comment
  • At Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:01:00 p.m., Blogger AR said…

    Adorable! You're a doll, no matter what you've got on.
    I feel like I'm in a clothing rut, jeans and t-shirts, but I guess that's what my life calls for right now.

      Edit Comment
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland