A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en Español


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Monday, September 18, 2006
Deutsche fests and more autumn nostalgia
ApplesWe spent a lovely, laid back weekend tidying up around the house in between taking little trips to check out events in nearby towns. Stuttgart is by far the biggest city in all of southern Germany, except for Munich, but it's hard to see it that way. It doesn't have much of a 'downtown' and for the most part is a whole bunch of smaller towns all squished together. Because of this, there are always little events happening in all the little town squares, things like farmers' or craft markets, fairs, sometimes parades. Often they will focus on some kind of regional point of interest, like the Filderkrautfest which is coming up and celebrated a really fun looking regionally grown cabbage. I'm not sure why, but it makes me think of that Peanuts special about the Great Pumpkin....I wonder if there's a little German kid who sits in the cabbage patch with his blankie and waits for the Great Pointed Cabbage?

On Saturday we went to a medieval market in a small nearby town. It was a small market, only about 15 or 20 stalls at most including food. But I found it really lovely because it was mainly children oriented, and we got to watch groups of children learn a medieval dance, which they immediately performed again when we and the other lunch eaters cheered for them :) There was also archery, fencing and this, which I can't find a name for but looks like fun! I think there were other things too, I saw the remains of pottery. And what was really cute was that most of them were in garb! I think I need me some garb too :)

And since I've been so swept up with thoughts of fall I decided to make use of my poor neglected wheel and spin up some fall yarn:
Canadian Fall - single
The colours aren't super clear, but I spun sections of red, orange and a warm brown, plus blends of those in between and then Navajo plied it. Canadian Fall - Navajo plied
I haven't been spinning that long, so I still need to work on spinning uniformly, especially with lighter weights. Maybe I shouldn't let myself get distracted all the time with new projects.

Labels: ,

posted by tatjana @ 9:25 a.m.  
6 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland