A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en Español


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Friday, September 15, 2006
999 Things - on Fall
31. Fall is definitely my favourite season. I think of the colours, the joy of charging through a pile of leaves, that crisp feeling in the air, the new beginning of another school year.

32. I miss Canada the most in the fall. The thought of a grove of red maples, their leaves blazing, really tugs on the heartstrings.

33. I find things still feel off schedule here. There is no Labour Day weekend to bookmark the back to school, and the children aren't seen on their way to school until after the middle of the month.

34. But there is one school tradition I get a kick out of....on their first day of first grade the children are sent with a Schultute. I think this is a great idea, as it seems to help kids not feel scared or sad about going.

35. Another thing I love about fall is the squash. This is still a relatively new vegetable in German cuisine, but there are now several kinds available at the farmer's markets, at least in fall, and I stock up while I can.

36. Right now I have a spaghetti and a butternut squash to make on the weekend.

37. I like spaghetti squash simple. I just halve it, scrape out the insides, and bake it in the oven with veggie broth in the centres. When it's done I just mix in what's left of the broth while I scrape the fibres out and add butter (plus salt, since butter here is unsalted). I've tried lots of other recipes, but I still like it this way best.

38. Butternut squash is always soup to me, with cream, cinnamon and a bit of cayenne pepper. So yummy! My best friend and I made it once with Scotch bonnets and overdid it a bit...everyone loved the soup, but had to eat with tears streaming down their cheeks :D

39. A popular fall activity here which I've been meaning to do forever, is muchroom hunting. Because there is a lot of light rain and overcast skies, it makes for great mushroom weather and we see them everywhere when we go on walks in wooded places.

40. I only know a few mushrooms, not enough to feel safe picking them to eat. But I love wandering around in the fall admiring their many forms and colours. Flowers bloom in spring, but mushrooms bloom in fall!

Labels:

posted by tatjana @ 1:23 p.m.  
5 Comments:
  • At Friday, September 15, 2006 4:41:00 p.m., Blogger lobstah said…

    Mmm...fall! I heartily agree with many items on your list. The Schultute is so cool, that would be a fun tradition to have here (although Americans would probably take it too far and make it into some giant consumer holiday). I'll have to try spaghetti squash like that. After I scrape it, I usually bake it with fresh diced tomatoes, sliced scallions, and some shredded mozarella and parmesan.

      Edit Comment
  • At Friday, September 15, 2006 7:13:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahhh! fall. that is definitely something i miss. here in quito the weather is the same all year round (except for more rain half the year than the other half). oh how i woul dlove to make something with a butternut squash or pumpkin. mmmmm...and muchas gracias for your comment! there is a large ecuadorian population in toronto, isn´t there? on of my gringa friends here is from toronto and she´s working on being able to bring her ecuadorian bf back...and he´s excited to have a little community away from home. :) oh, and i love your textile collage/quilt. i am going on a textile tour/set of workshops in peru in a few weeks and feel very intimidated by the more accomplished artists who will be going with me.

      Edit Comment
  • At Saturday, September 16, 2006 6:20:00 p.m., Blogger Veronica TM said…

    I like your list! And I would love to go mushroom picking, I am sure they look beautiful! And you are making me hungry, spaghetti squash...mmmmm.

      Edit Comment
  • At Saturday, September 16, 2006 8:58:00 p.m., Blogger AR said…

    The schultute sounds so sweet! In Michigan, USA there are special mushrooms that people gather in the spring. I love squash, too. Thanks for the cooking ideas.

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, September 18, 2006 8:34:00 p.m., Blogger Courtney said…

    Mmmmmm, squash. I also adore it and love making it in the fall. I have a great recipe for Acron Squash Lasagna...lemme know if you'd like me to share!

      Edit Comment
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland