A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Cheater cheater pumpkin eater....
Do ever feel just a little bit guilty for cheating on the sweater you're knitting to go sew yourself a quick skirt? For putting aside that mile long scarf for Aunt Flo, because you just couldn't keep your itchy fingers from casting on for that cute little top in the latest issue of IK? For tossing your quilting pieces to the wind so you can be up to your elbows in a bucket of yarn and purple dye? I do, sometimes. The last week or so has been one of those times. It tends to coincide with ruts, those periods when your craft mojo just seems to be out of whack, and none of your current WIPs seem so exciting anymore.

So who, or really what, am I cheating on? Well, I've already spouted off about all the sewing, and in addition to that grey cardigan (which I haven't touched since I posted that picture), I have two half knit cardigans waiting in the wings, a Mary Jane and a DROPS 88-4. Then there is a red cardigan, which is actually very close to being done, that I found while organizing my stash, and last, but definitely not least, because it's the only project with a deadline, a little something I want to submit to Knitty. And don't even ask how many potential projects I've started swatches for.

My WIPs

But all this torrid betrayal is not my fault! I swear! It was the yarn....the yarn was my downfall!!! (Have I used enough !!! yet?)

pink cone

And there she is. Isn't she lovely? An unexpected score on eBay, a 900g cone for 6,50 Euro, which of course had to be accompanied by a cone of paprika coloured cotton, and a cone of really soft silver-grey viscose. But this one is by far the best. You wouldn't know to look at it, or feel it for that matter, but it's a blend of cotton, acrylic and polyamid. Yeah, wierd mix. But it's soft as butter, knits up beautifully, and has this ever so slight halo that I'm just loving.

So of course you all think I'm knitting something with it. But I haven't even gotten that far yet (except for a wee bit of swatching). Having been inspired by Aija, I thought 'Hey, we haven't tried Navajo plying yet, why don't we give a whirl with some of that there pink yarn?' I really was just going to try it out, see how hard it was. And then I thought, 'Wow, this yarn is really great plied this way, and I could make a much more cuddly sweater with this added bulkiness!' So before I knew it I was Navajo plying like a crazy person. I don't know what's sadder, the fact that I'm not even plying my own handspun, or the fact that there are winders that do this. Ok, maybe not Navajo ply, but certainly do a decent job of twisting three strands together.

Oh well, it's too late to turn back now. All my other WIPs are already disgusted with me, and I already have almost enough of the yummy pink yarn in worsted weight to make a sweater :)

Labels:

posted by tatjana @ 7:52 p.m.  
5 Comments:
  • At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:57:00 a.m., Blogger AR said…

    I can see how that yarn seduced you, because of it's beauty. Naughty yarn. LOL

      Edit Comment
  • At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:00:00 p.m., Blogger lobstah said…

    So many projects, so little time! :D

      Edit Comment
  • At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:39:00 p.m., Blogger Marji said…

    project fidelity - I'm sorry, but I'm laughing out loud. We're all such tramps.
    I didn't realize you had a drops88-4 on the needles too. So does Katrina, and a host of others I can think about if I put my mind to it. Maybe we all ought to make an effort to finish up those babies. I saw the completed green one from the model pics at Stitches - and it is such a pretty sweater.
    OTH, new yarn is always such fun to play with

      Edit Comment
  • At Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:10:00 p.m., Blogger Marji said…

    ha, I wish I could be confident that these projects will all see completion even within this calendar year - but alas, did you happen to see the date on the eggplant color boucle jacket? I cut it out 10/05...and it is still in that state, with pins. If I were to come clean in my sewing room like I did with my UFO's in knitting a year ago, everyone would be horrified.

      Edit Comment
  • At Monday, September 18, 2006 8:33:00 p.m., Blogger Courtney said…

    Don't beat yourself up, this is what we all do! Start a project....see another....start another...see another. It is a cycle, but they all get done eventually, and that is what you need to remind yourself. I usually allow myself to have 4-5 WIP's at the same time...I usually vary the yarn type and project type (i.e. socks in wool, lace sweater in silk, cabled scarf in alpaca, etc.) so that I don't get bored with the patterns OR the fibers. All of your WIP's are lovely and I can't wait to see what they grow into. :)

      Edit Comment
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland