A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Hackity hack hack.
That pretty much sums up the last week or so. I haven't had the strength for much else. Having the wonderfully unpredictable weather we do here in Stuttgart, we went from our in-the-30s heat wave to in-the-teens with yucky rain and overall greyness. Blech! I actually don't mind rain, I find it kinda soothing, but unlike back home, rain here always brings a kind of creeping dampness that seeps into all the nooks and crannies of my already heat inefficient body. So, like many others I got sick. You can imagine my joy. Summer isn't even over and I'm already getting visits from my old friend bronchitis.

On the bright side, last week happened to be Super Knitting Mag Week. So while I was stuck in bed, I got to flip through my recently arrived copy of Interweave Knits and enjoy the company of my good chums Rebecca and Verena! Woohoo! This was especially exciting because I think it's the first time I've ever gotten IK before it was on newstands, and I found a few things in all three mags that I think I would like to knit. In IK, I really like the comfy look of Bianca's Jacket and the Gatsby Girl Pullover (scroll down) is so feminine and elegant. Admittedly, I was a little horrified by the Western Point Skirt, especially since I like a lot of Annie Modesitt's designs, but the construction is interesting, and I would probably like it a lot more if I didn't think those necktie skirts, which inspired the design, were just the ugliest thing going. My last favourite from this issue is the Glasgow Lace. The lace patterns and scalloped edge are very pretty, but I think it will need some shaping. As is, it makes the poor little red-haried girl look rather like the proverbial potato sack, in continuation of the evil IK anti-redhead plot.
Rebecca and Verena do not have pics of all their patterns online (isn't that irritating if you have to order them?) so I was forced to take horrible snapshots again. I really apologize, but our scanner sucks and it takes forever to format the pictures so that they're uploadable, because the accompanying software sucks too. But at least you can see some fun knits, even is some of them are branding with magazine-gloss-glare, or a little fuzzy when I tried to avoid it (Did I mention my camera sucks too?).
Rebecca White knit coat Rebecca - White lace sweater
I really like this long cardigan/coat. It's kinda dress like and the length should keep my butt warm. I have a pile of magenta yarn with some mohair that I think I might use to knit this. I have enough for a long sweater and I've been wondering what to do with it for a while. I'm not sure what colour would suit the lace sweater, but I just love it. It looks great in cream, but it's really not my colour. At any rate, it should probably be knit in a light colour, to make the lace more visible.
Verena - Deep V neck sweater Verena - blue mohair mix
These two sweaters are from Verena, a German knitting mag that comes out 4 times a year. I like the style of the one on the left, but would find it a bit inpractical to wear in winter. Although the blue sweater is presented in the ugliest manner possible (what's with the hat!?!) I like the idea of double stranding a mohair yarn with wool and using a woven look stitch. It might be the solution I've been looking for for some mohair I bought on impulse and am not afraid to knit for fear of looking like a muppet.
There were also some really nice patterns in plus sizes, one or two of which I will have to resize to make for myself:
Verena - Plus size Mohair lace Verena - Plus size Eyelet sweater

I especially like the stitch pattern and the soft look of this sweater:
Verena - Plus size Pink sweater Verena - Cabled vest
And I'm considering knitting up a version of the cabled vest with sleeves, becuase I think it would make a nice sweater.

And last, but not least, just to show those who don't or can't get Verena that's it's not all pretty knits, some good ol' Verena fug:
Verena - Wookiee cardi
Come on girls, don't you want to release your inner wookiee?
And this is what I imagine happening if Cruella DeVil ever decided to ransack the smurf village:
Verena - Super smurf fug
Ok, time for another nap. Sorry about the poor picture quality! Better pics next tme I promise :)

Labels: ,

posted by tatjana @ 1:00 p.m.  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland