A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Thursday, July 13, 2006
Look Ma! No seams!
Well, actually there's one seam. But that's still pretty darn impressive. A dress with one seam. That's like making a full course dinner with only one pot or one pan. Since it's been a while since I've done much sewing, I thought this would be a nice warm up. The super-wikkid-awesome tutorial can be found here. As many wonderful things are, this was all inspired by a discussion on Craftster and you can see the various versions that have been made so far in this thread.
Fuchsia convertible dress
I made the first version using some magenta jersey I've been meaning to do something with. I really like the bold colour, and it's just a really soft, nicely draping fabric. It's such a comfortable dress. The only drawback is that I ran out of fabric and had to make the straps a bit shorter, so there's less to wrap with, but I'm pretty happy with it. I think I will have to add a trim to the bottom, or accesorize it with something to break up the colour somehow, because it's a little overwhelming, and it kinda makes my boobs look enormous. Being petite, I really try to play them down as much as I can, usually with all sorts of minimizing bras, but it can be tricky to wrap this in such a way that'll cover one of those. It'd have to be a strapless or nothing at all (which actually works in several styles, thanks to all the wrapping) but those are anything but minimizing, and uber-uncomfortable to boot.
Fuchsia convertible dress - back
I also went out and bought a printed jersey, which I found on sale for only 2 euros/m!! I think it looks especially nice as a strapless dress, very 50s. This one turned out a touch shorter, which I like better, so I think I'll shorten the first one. I will also take the time to hem most or all of the edges on this one, since it tends to curl forward and show the plain white on the wrong side of the fabric.
Black & white convertible dress
This weekend I will begin the struggle with the German pattern magazines. If you've ever bought a Burda magazine, then you've seen the puzzle of overlapping patterns which you're supposed to trace onto butcher paper and then cut out. These sheets make those look easy! Really, this has to be seen to be believed, I'll be sure to take pictures. Wish me luck though, k?

Labels:

posted by tatjana @ 11:41 p.m.  
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland