A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Friday, August 04, 2006
Seaberry Shell - another one frogged?

Seaberry Shell
Originally uploaded by happy go lovely.
As I mentioned before, in my search for finished Seaberries on the web, all I could find was one frogged and another that ended up being completely different, only preserving the leaf lace pattern, not even the bobbles. For the most part I kept to the pattern, sorta. I was working with my own yarn, and didn't attempt to make it as bulky as that in the pattern. The pattern calls for Twinkle Cruise, a cotton/silk mix, and you're supposed to knit using 4 (!!!) strands. I used some nice mercerised cotton and only doubled it, which could then be worked on 5mm needles (the pattern uses 8mm/US11). Since the shell has no shaping, and I have long figured out how to decrease for sleeves, all that I needed from the pattern was the lace pattern, which in my version is not as wide, but still gives the same bulky lace impression which I found nice in the original. I added waist shaping (yes, really. Can't you see it??). A hell of a lot of good it did me. What worked out much better, though, was the change to the neckline. The original high neck was a little severe, and I thought I'd make a boat neck. Unfortunately, I had only 6 50g balls of the yarn, and it didn't look like it would be enough. So I knit up front and back as far as I could, and started on my now scooping neckband. If I had had a bit more yarn, I would have like to make the neckline a bit higher, and the band a bit wider, so that the neckline swoops across from shoulder to shoulder, instead of being the square shaped dip it is now. Oh well, next time experiment with more yarn, I guess :D I'm very town about whether to keep or to tear the thing up. I like the general look of it, but the bulky fabric is not exactly flattering. There just seems to be too much around the waist. I'm not sure if I would wear it the way it is, but since it's already knit, and it was only 300g of wallflower cotton, I may take the risk of running this baby through the sewing machine. If I took enough off the sides at the waist, so that it had negative ease and fit nice n snuggly, it would probably look a lot less boxy. *sigh* Why do I always fall for the patterns made for the scrawny little boobless girls??


Labels:

posted by tatjana @ 11:48 p.m.  
6 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland