A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Sunday, October 08, 2006
I feel another craft coming on...
I had so much fun at the stained glass workshop! I think this is totally something I could enjoy doing a lot. A lot of people who work with stained glass (from what I've seen here, at least) tend to cut specific shapes and put glass pictures together using patterns. Things like flowers, butterflies. Since this class is part of a publicly run night school type programme, they were on a bit of a budget, so instead had as use our imaginations and make up stuff with a collection of broken glass, in all colours and shapes. Personally, I found doing it this way a lot more fun. You don't even need a lot of supplies to do this sort of thing either. Just a couple of special pairs of pliers plus a soldering iron, foil and solder for soldering. Oh, and a glass cutter :) I still need to work on making my soldering look a bit neater, but I'm pretty happy with my first and second tries. Plus I was the only one who managed to make 2 things! Granted, a couple people made larger, more involved things, but other were still struggling with fairly simple things. One woman in particular took forever because she was determined to have all pieces fit together perfectly in exactly the order she wanted them. I felt bad that she seemed completely tied down by this expectation, and instead of enjoying being creative, just made herself really frustrated. Let that be a lesson to you all! No craft must be perfect! It's usually no fun, and often better with "faults". Anyway, since you're probably wondering, here's what I made! This is what I made today when I realized I was done and still had loads of time left:

Tealight  Holder

I happened to find a couple of curved pieces that reminded me of a sunset because of their colours, and decided to use them as a tealight holder. I didn't bother making the pieces exactly even, so it's a little wonky looking, but the colours are really pretty. Sorry about the dark picture, I will try to take some outside, which will probably show the colours better. The piece I'm really proud of is the one I made first, and spent more time designing and making, a mirror with sunrays along one side:

Tiffany Mirror

The glass is shades of red, orange and yellow. Again, I'll take another picture outside in daylight asap. The soldering isn't perfect, but I figure that just takes practice. All in all, I'm just totally stoked about the idea that you can make such cool things so easily. The possibilities are just endless! I was just thinking aloud when we got home and said it would be really cool to make a chandelier with colored glass. Not an electric one, but on with wire holders for tealights behind shields of rose coloured glass. It would give off such a cozy glow. Sigh. What on earth am I thinking?? I don't even have a soldering iron yet. I guess first stop tomorrow on the way home from work is the hardware store. LOL!

Labels:

posted by tatjana @ 9:00 p.m.  
4 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland