A Canadian gal in Stuttgart, Germany, who loves nothing better than crafting by the seat of her pants. See her snip, sew, knit, knot, glue, sculpt, splatter, spin, and of course, talk about herself.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe to this blog


Diese Seite auf Deutsch

Esta pagina en EspaƱol


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from happy go lovely. Make your own badge here.





Prev l List l Next
_

Wednesday, October 25, 2006
A thrifting we will go....
Why is it that the most mundane things can become absolutely irresistable if they're old? I always used to think that table linens were just the dullest thing going. After all, the darn things have to be ironed, who wants to do that? Spruce up the table? That's what placemats are for. Of course, even being an avid thrifter, I almost never came across such things in their vintage form in Canada - with lovely folkloric patterns, lace edging or delicate embroidery - I came to Germany where it's the most often found item, having been horded in some cupboard by every woman over 60 for the last 30 years or more. Bed linens are also often likewise enshrined if no longer in use. Particularly among the older generations, things are only thrown out when absolutely necessary. I'm not sure if this is solely for the sake of hanging on to things if needed again, or also because Germans pay for their garbage (Yeah, ask yourself if you'd be dragging those 6 hefty bags to the curb if you were paying per cubic foot).
Tablecloth and Doilies
Anyway, back to my table bits. I decided to pop into the Diakonieladen ('Deaconry store' - basically a church run charity shop) a few days ago to see if they had anything. It's only been open a month or two. I'd gone in a few times before, but only ever bought one thing - a traditional German 'Tracht' dress, which I keep forgetting to take a picture of. It's hilarious. But this time I got really lucky and found some totally cute things for next to nothing.
Like this tablecloth, table runner and doilies. Are they still doilies if they're not lace? I don't like the crocheted kind, but I love these. And it seems like a great use for small bits of fabric. I just might make some more. Would you want doilies for christmas?
Pillowcases
Even though crochet doilies do nothing for me, I do actually like crocheted things, even lace, like this pillow case. This is something else I may try making myself. I think in colour it would probably start meandering over to the tacky side, but in white, in the right setting, lovely. The other white pillowcase is for a rectangle pillow, which is odd, because almost all pillows are square here, even the ones you sleep on.
Flowered cans
These cans were sitting inside the biggest can when I found them. I was happy enough to find the one, because I've been a bit purple happy lately, but three! Tin, with plastic lids. There's a wee bit of rust here and there, but it's not too noticeable, and anyway they were only 60 cents for all 3.
Covered wooden clothes hangers
Here's another adorable tablecloth (and I usually don't even like yellow!) that I had to bring home, and my favourite find of the lot, these totally grandma, covered wooden hangers. Aren't they just the kitschiest ever? Just love 'em. Does anyone know what the point of covered them is? I understand those that are padded, so you don't get those wierd little nubbins in the shoulders, but these covers I think are too thin to help much with that.
Well, they're in my closet now, holding up a few tops and my brand new sweater dress! I know, I know, it's terrible of me to buy a dress when I still have 2 half made Sew Retro projects sitting around and I could probably knit the dress myself, but knitting over a metre of stockinette just ain't my idea of a good time, you know? And before I scare you all off because you think I bought one of those horrendous 80s flashbacks, I swear it's really cute. Just to prove it I will put it on and make Bunny take a picture. Which reminds me, I still have to take a picture of the pendant I made, because it turns out I don't have the right size of bead (Hell and damnation!!). If you're wondering what the heck I need the bead for, I had this vision of silver loops in which I would fit lovely red beads. But none of my beads fit and there's no way of changes it without beating the crap out of this poor little silver thing which frankly got enough abuse while I was making it ;) So, as before, owing more pics, I really will do my best to take them soon :)

Labels: , ,

posted by tatjana @ 3:01 p.m.  
5 Comments:
  • At Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:59:00 p.m., Blogger AR said…

    What pretty old, stuff. I just love the canisters.

      Edit Comment
  • At Friday, October 27, 2006 1:03:00 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Love the green pillowcase with the little scenery. How cute is that!
    The crocheted case is totally country shabby chic. Those two would look very nice together on a sofa or bed. Great finds.
    I got a decorated cigar box purse with bamboo handles from the thrift store the other day. I'll have to put a photo on my blog.
    I'm glad you saw my blog the other day.

      Edit Comment
  • At Friday, October 27, 2006 4:01:00 p.m., Blogger Courtney said…

    I love the finds!
    I have always had a soft spot for table linens. I think it is because I ironed my Grandmother's as a child, and always loved them.
    The hangers are great! The main reason for the fabirc on them (knitted, croched or otherwise) is to add resistance to the wood. That way your garments won't fall off. :)

      Edit Comment
  • At Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:10:00 p.m., Blogger Marji said…

    oh, I love the hangers. My grandma knitted and crocheted covers for all our hangers when I was a kid - I have exactly One left. they are way more padded than simple wire hangers therefore will do the trick of not creating a crease at the shoulder, but mostly they're best because all those sleeveless shells don't go sliding off onto the floor.

      Edit Comment
  • At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:32:00 p.m., Blogger Veronica TM said…

    Those are all great finds! My favourites are all the things in the first photo.
    I think charging for trash would be a good thing, here in the US.
    Can't wait to see the dresses and the earings!

      Edit Comment
Post a Comment
<< Home
 







Trekking XXL Enrelac Socks
Dottie Tank
Lizzieas pdf
Bosomy Tankas pdf
Mods for Bosomy TankA Fanciful Twist
Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
Apron Thrift Girl
Arleta's Motley Wool
The Barefoot Cobbler
Beauty School Dropout
cArried AwAy
Kandeedo Bandeedo
Fiber Arts Afloat
Hadas y Flores
Jungle Dream Pagoda
Lobstah Life
muerto de risa
My Marrakesh
Moonstitches
Petunia
Pink Lady Knits
SewStylish
Sock prOn
So Sylvie
Stitched in Holland